This I Know | The Magic of Watercolor Painting

This I Know | The Magic of Watercolor Painting

Share:

In the Tumble 2022 problem of Watercolor Artist Magazine, we highlighted these inspiring words on the magic of watercolor from artist Chien Chung-Wei

Immediately after many years portray in watercolor, celebrated artist Chien Chung-Wei has acquired a factor or two about how to make the most of this magical medium. Take his statements on magnificence, artistry and strategy and infuse your possess painting apply with renewed energy—and do so with the heart of an explorer for, as Chung-Wei tells us, “Watercolor favors the adventurer!”    

On Watercolor …

“How to approach those unforeseen changes that inevitably come about in the course of action of watercolor painting? Enable me estimate the master Sheng-Yen: ‘Accept it, manage it, and let go of it.’”

“Watercolor portray is fun mainly because it is really hard!”

The Dog Strolling Down The Actions (watercolor on paper, 141/2×103/5)

On Natural beauty …

When the Streetlights Go On (watercolor on paper, 141/2×103/5)

“The means to discover beauty is determined by your aesthetic cultivation additional than by cameras and sketchbooks, and your skill to develop natural beauty is decided by your realistic painting expertise, not the individual brush you keep in your hand.”

“What motivates you and me to make artwork? The respond to is splendor! To find, pursue and create attractiveness, stick to your coronary heart.”

“Create elegance from your each day lifestyle. Glance critically at popular factors and regular landscapes to uncover elegance. There, you are going to also uncover creativeness.”


On System …

“I really do not care a great deal about what my topic is, or what I see in a photograph, I basically try to explore and fortify the intrigue of the varieties I notice. This is the most interesting and crucial section of portray.”

“In order to highlight the electric power of aspects, and to make them significant and valuable, the depiction of facts will have to be based mostly on a perfectly-constructed sense of general wholeness.”

“Use the minimum detail to build utmost energy. The premise is that only when the key information are created upon a potent composition can they build astonishing effects.”

Verona Market place (watercolor on paper, 141/2×103/5)
Dancing Like Butterflies

“Use simplified shapes of colour to imply the most challenging facts.”

“The background of a painting—the coloration tones, styles and texture—usually decides 80 % of the atmosphere and mood in the photo.”

“Only immediately after you set up the construction of a portray can you love maneuvering the brushstrokes with unconstrained liberty.”


On Failure & Results …

“Why does a portray are unsuccessful? Absence of ability or familiarity with the medium is perhaps only 10 %. The other 90 % benefits from not recognizing what you want to existing.”

 

“I’m only superior at watercolor than my college students simply because I have messed up a lot more watercolor papers.”

Shantou in The Rain (watercolor on paper, 291/2×22)

Satisfy the Artist

Taiwanese artist Chien Chung-Wei was born in 1968. He acquired a Masters degree in Good Artwork at the Nationwide Taiwan Standard College. Over the yrs, he has won quite a few awards in international competitions and has the dinstinction of becoming the very first artist from Taiwan to receive Signature Membership and a Dolphin Fellowship with the American Watercolor Culture. He teaches watercolor in Taiwan and also provides tutorial watercolor workshops globally. Adhere to the artist on social media at facebook.com/hibariprince and on Instagram @chien_chung_wei.

Share: